Occasionally we come across some well-intentioned DIY or handyman projects that haven’t been handled safely. A very critical point is that if there’s a bad smell, it’s because there is mold or bacteria present. The worst thing to do, where smell still exists, is to introduce air movement. That will stir up the mold or bacteria and spread it around and make the problem much worse. The contaminated building materials need to be removed or cleaned, based on the material type, under containment and negative air pressure. Once this has been completed, the smell will be gone. Only when this has been done and only clean materials remain is it safe to turn on air movers and actively dry the structure.